The Berry Memorial Library was made possible by the generosity of Andrew L. and Susan A. Berry. In Mr. Berry’s Will of 1911, he bequeathed a lot of land for a Free Public Library and a fund, the income of which was to be used to build a library, furnish books for the library, the care of the building and to pay current expenses. The library was to be called the Berry Library in memory of his father, Stephen H. Berry. Andrew Berry died May 7, 1914 and his wife Susan, died March 1, 1926. The Berrys had no children.
In correspondence to the Selectmen of Buxton dated March 16, 1926 it was requested that steps be taken to accept or reject the proposal made in the will of Mr. Berry. At a Special Town Meeting held August 28, 1926, it was voted to accept the bequest as offered. A Quit Claim Deed by Kate E. Came dated November 12, 1926 conveyed the property to the Town of Buxton. Records indicate that in 1929 the Committee overseeing the construction of the Berry Library turned over to the Town a building of pleasing exterior and harmonious furnishings that the citizens may be proud to own. The Berry Library officially opened January 5, 1929 for distribution of books with Fannie E. Towle as Librarian. Trustees oversee the day-to-day operation of the Library.
The Library has an excellent inventory of Maine Books and has many books donated regarding family histories and writings of authors native to Buxton. On hand is a very good selection of fiction and non-fiction, old and new, as well as books that appeal to children.
Berry Library is proud to hold the following books on the history of Buxton:
• Narragansett No. 1
• Buxton Centennial 1772-1872
• One Hundred Fiftieth Anniversary of the Town of Buxton
• Saco Valley Settlements and Families
• History of York County, Maine